Tuesday, January 3, 2012

My Grandma

   I had one grandma,my paternal grandma Klein. I was her first grandchild,and she was crazy about me as I was her. I came along ten years after her last child.I was the only granddaughter for fifteen years ,with a string of six boys, before Debbie and Tammy arrived back to back.It was fun being the only girl while it lasted!!!


  Grandma was a tall, strong, woman, with a quiet voice, and seemed timid, but,once you knew her learned she had her opinions. She had light blue eyes, long blond hair, and very fair skin,which she washed every night before bed and applied Noxzema to.


   I loved going to her house. It was in the country,two miles from town.Her one hunderd year old house was on a tree lined lane next to a creek. Her white kitchen gleamed, smelled of geraniums and home baked bread.  The clock in the dining room chimed on the half hour and hour. Her buffet was adorned with dolies that she made,and a bowl of her homemade anise red candies. Her living room was wallpapered in a pretty green and white lily patterned,her piano,took center stage lined with framed photos of her children and grandchildren. She did her daily devotions in the living room.Reading her bible, playing her piano and praying for every child and neighbor or freind. I know this, I was kneeling beside her on the times I was visiting.


   Her bed room was upstairs.A cozy room with slanted walls,and big fluffy quilts that she and her freinds had made. I loved sleeping with her in that room. In the morning before sunrise she would get up and go help my grandpa milk their four or five cows. She would tell me the night before not to get up.until she got back! How exciting that seemed to me. Her room was above the kitchen, and the wood stove pipe came up through her room. Her and grandpa would come back, and she would crank up that stove and start making breakfast. I loved peeking down at them through the grate in the floor.


  I know this sounds like "Litttle House on the Prarie"and it kinda was. I have so many wonderful memorys of that time in my life when Grandma was around. Those days are gone forever....times were so simple, but so rich then. I don't want to forget them, I want to remember where I came from. Just a simple little girl from South Dakota. You know that is where the Ingdalls from House in the Prarie were from? South Dakota.

1 comment:

  1. I love reading this! Keep it up - you're a great writer! Great Grandma Klein sounds amazing - now I need to see pictures of her....

    ReplyDelete